During the last 20 years, the majority of EDWARD J. BATIS & ASSOCIATES, INC.’s assignments have been involved with litigation and acquisition work on behalf of energy clients expanding or constructing interstate pipeline systems.
EDWARD J. BATIS & ASSOCIATES, INC. has extensive experience and knowledge pertaining to the valuation challenges for takings (fee, permanent easement, and temporary easement) required for the construction of underground pipelines. The company has conducted various market studies and remainder property studies in order to assist energy clients with their acquisition projects. While the majority of the research, analysis, and testimony has pertained to Illinois properties, the company has been retained as a consultant for pipeline projects covering multiple states.
Enbridge Projects: Three Simultaneous Multi-Jurisdiction Projects
In 2012, EDWARD J. BATIS & ASSOCIATES, INC. was retained by Enbridge’s Illinois counsel to manage the valuation services for Enbridge as it acquired right of way in Illinois for its three new lines – Flanagan South (Pontiac to Quincy, IL), Line 78 (Pontiac to Griffith, IN), and Southern Access Extension (“SAX”, Pontiac to Patoka, IL). Combined, these three projects included more than 1,900 tracts of land and 420 miles of right of way across 20 Illinois counties.
The responsibilities of EDWARD J. BATIS & ASSOCIATES, INC. for these three projects included the following:
Proven Success: $67 Million in Savings to Client
The success of the three Enbridge projects in litigation in Illinois in 2015 resulted in the rejection of more than $67 million in claims by property owners and their respective valuation experts. The valuation strategy employed for the projects was based upon the following premises:
(1) Consistent valuation methodologies among all valuation witnesses
(2) Selection of experienced valuation witnesses competent in both geographical/local issues and technical issues pertaining to partial takings and damages
(3) Collection and coordination of a universe of remainder property data including paired-sales analysis, before and after analysis of properties encumbered with one or multiple pipelines, market participant interviews, analytical and quantitative studies of pipeline impressed properties, and published studies
(4) A comprehensive review and scrutiny of all data and opinions submitted by landowners’ experts
(5) A complete review of all valuation documents, testimony, and analysis for compliance with professional appraisal standards (USPAP; Appraisal Institute), ICC/Court requirements, and state licensing requirements.
Company Resources and Market Data
EDWARD J. BATIS & ASSOCIATES, INC. utilizes the most current technological resources to efficiently manage valuation services and coordinate the thousands of valuation and easement documents relied on by the attorneys and appraisers in a project, including a state of the art video wall/conference center for online meetings and collaborative efforts with clients, appraisers, attorneys; web-based document storage resources to facilitate the sharing of relevant documents without unnecessary duplicative efforts; an extensive state-wide GIS/KMZ database of pipeline-sales data, tax parcels, wetlands/flood plain, geographical and geological data, etc.; and, drone technology (photography and videography) to expedite the collection of market evidence pertaining to the study of properties with and without pipelines and to demonstrate the “after condition” of pipeline-impressed properties.